Friday, April 3, 2009

Public Sphere Week Project

For my public sphere activity, my main focus will be alerting people to animal cruelty, particularly in the fur industry and the medical research field. I own thirteen chinchillas, and they will be the main animal that I focus my project on. I plan to alert people to the harsh living conditions and the cruel treatment and execution of these animals on fur farms, and also the suffering that many animals experience when they are infected with diseases to be tested on. I will make a flyer, which will have my main focus and a brief summary of what I plan to convey, to gain people’s attention. I also want to make a pamphlet with facts about the animals that are killed and worn as fur, especially chinchillas and what great companions they make. I need to focus on the community, and I hope to change the way they perceive both wild and domestic animals. I’m a little stuck on other public literacy I could use. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. I think that you have a good idea with strong feeling behind it. I work at Pet Food Center and I am familiar with chinchillas myself, however they are rather rambunctious haha. However, when handing out flyers and whatnot, you may want to consider how people tend to just walk by and ignore someone who is just handing out flyers. You know kids these days, they are not big fans of reading. Maybe if you presented some type of display that would catch their attention or even shock them that would help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love animals Jess and it pains me every time those commercials come on TV that show abused and sick animals who need help. Maybe it's the three legged dogs or the Sarah McLaughlin song behind the images, but it deeply touches my inner affinity for animals. I think it's awesome you own 13 Chinchillas, you really must care for those little guys. It angers me too when I hear about all the abuse going on towards animals with the fur market and medical studies done on them. For your public literacy ideas you might consider some graphic pictures of the mistreatment of animals to catch peoples' attention. Also you might want to look into some videos out there to show that would illustrate your passion. By the way, you said you wanted to join my anti-Carlos Mencia group, so here is a link to it, http://apps.facebook.com/causes/188327?m=4a83263b.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Fuzz Lightyear, you should definitely have something that has lots of pictures. Play up the empathy. In my speech class earlier this year, one of the students did an informative speech on chicken farms. She made a slide show of all the chicken farms and showed how they cramped the birds in cages and how they pecked sores on each other, really graphic stuff. This made her stick out and actually got everyone to pay attention. I don't know if we are allowed to do slide shows, but it would be another possibility.

    ReplyDelete